Here at Family Friendly Cincinnati we are big fans of eating local and shopping local and supporting all of the great locally owned businesses in our community. Even when it comes to going to the movies. When I take my family to the movies we like to hit up some of our locally owned movie theaters that we have in our area. I thought I’d shine a spotlight on our favorite local movie theaters so that next time you take your family out for a movie or go out for a date night you might be inspired to check out a “new to you” movie theater!
The Esquire Theatre, Kenwood Theatre and Mariemont Theatre share an owner and are my absolute favorite places to catch a movie. The theatres don’t just show mainstream movies, they also offer many indie films as well as fun events like singalongs. The Esquire & Mariemont Theatres are fabulous vintage theatres that have been open for a very long time, while the Kenwood Theatre is in a newer building near the Kenwood Town Centre. All three theatres make the movie going experience special!
Here’s a few things I love about the Kenwood, Esquire & Mariemont Theatres:
1. The Popcorn: Hands down, the best movie theater popcorn I’ve ever had. Ever. For a small increase in price you can top your popcorn at these theatres with REAL butter!
2. The Movies: There’s so much variety in the movie selection at these theaters! As I said, they don’t just offer the mainstream box office winners in terms of movies. They also show independent movies, old favorites, documentaries and the like. They host some fun events based around old movies like the Rocky Horror Picture Show, White Christmas, Monty Python and MORE. These three theatres (especially Esquire and Mariemont) really do offer up a lot of variety in terms of movies they show and they select really interesting and thought provoking movies that you might not be able to find at other theatres.
3. The Theatres are clean and comfortable, and the staff is always friendly.
4. Adult Beverages: That’s right…adult beverages. They don’t just offer soft drinks at this trio of independent movie theaters. They also offer beer, wine, mixed drinks and coffee! Make it a great date night by complementing your awesome popcorn with coffee or a cocktail!
5. Deals & Discounts: Check out the websites for the Esquire Theatre, Mariemont Theatre and Kenwood Theatre to find out more about their Critic’s Club, which offers some awesome discounts for patrons. They also have many other great promotions, listed on their websites. Also be sure to check Groupon, sometimes they offer some great deals on movie tickets. And during the summer the theaters have a series for children.
Have you been to one of these theaters yet? I recommend a visit! What’s your favorite movie theater? I know there are more independently owned theaters in our area, please comment below if you know of one that my family should check out!
For more information about these theaters visit their websites:
Esquire Theatre: 320 Ludlow Ave. Cincinnati, OH 45220
Kenwood Theatre: 7815 Kenwood Rd. Cincinnati, OH 45236
Mariemonth Theatre: 6906 Wooster Pike Cincinnati, OH 45227
When not blogging for Family Friendly Cincinnati, you can find Katie writing at her personal blog, www.thelittlethingsjournal.blogspot.com.