Summer is here! The kids are going to be home from school and the summer fun is set to begin! As much as I love the fun and games of summer I want to make sure my kids are stimulating their minds as well, so I’m thankful for the Kenton County Public Library’s Summer Reading Club. It gets the whole family excited about reading! There are prizes galore, and great activities going on all summer long. So pick up those reading logs and start reading, they have a fun new t-shirt your child can earn simply by reading. And be sure to check out the KCPL website for a list of all the great classes they have going on all summer long, and not just for the kids. They have different events for folks of all ages from babe to 99. There are countless programs at the library to choose from. Everything from science programs for kids, computer classes, family game nights, storytimes, craft sessions for all ages, and much much more. Check out the Kenton County Public Library Events Page for a complete run down and then make plans to be at your favorite programs. My kids have already given me a list of the programs we just cannot miss this summer. There really is something for everyone at the library, and the best part is….it’s FREE!
To kick off the Summer Reading Club, all three branches of the Kenton County Public Library will be celebrating with big parties that are FREE and open to the public! You don’t have to live in Kenton County, or even in Kentucky, to belong to KCPL! Come one come all and celebrate with them and join the Summer Reading Club craze so you too can earn cool stuff! If you are stumped on what to read ask one of the librarians…they always give me the best book recommendations! And if you have a reluctant reader you can enlist the help of one of the Children’s Librarians, they are great at finding the perfect books for kids. And a Summer Reading Club might be just the thing to entice your children to read, read, read!
More Information about the Kenton County Public Library’s Summer Reading Club:
The Kenton County Public Library is celebrating 92 Days of Summer Reading this June through August. There is a club for everyone in the family:
Adults: for every book read or program attended, a raffle ticket it earned. Drawings for prizes held weekly.
Teens: Open to anyone starting grades 6-leaving 12!
- Read any book, graphic novel, ebook, audio-book, magazine…
- Record what you’ve read online at www.kentonlibrary.org/src or fill out a form at your library’s reference desk.
- One winner per branch will be drawn every 2 weeks for prizes like:
- iPod Touch
- Beats Headphones
- Kindle Fire
- Nintendo DS
- Makey Makey
- King’s Island Passes
Children ages 2 -12: Children can pick up a reading log at any of the three library locations. Once children read (or listen to depending on reading level) five books, they earn a book. Once they read 10 books, they win a summer reading club t-shirt which was designed by artist C.F. Payne (photo attached). Children will also be entered into a grand prize raffle to be drawn at the end of summer for their choice of a Nintendo 3DS or Kindle Fire HD. Children can continue to read for more chances to win entries into the grand prize drawing.
The Kenton County Public Library kickoff celebrations will be held Friday, May 30 and Saturday, May 31 with the following events:
Covington Branch: Saturday, May 31, 1:00 pm-4:30 pm
- 12:30 p.m. – Frisch Marionettes present “A Jungle Book: Story of Mowgli’s Fire”
- 2:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. – Kick off Summer Reading Club with a selection of animated shorts from Shakespeare: The Animated Tales.
William E. Durr Branch: Saturday, May 31, 1:00 pm-3:00 pm
- Summer Reading Club Kickoff Carnival for children ages 0 – 12.
Erlanger Branch: Friday, May 30, 1:00 pm-9:00 pm
Super Epic Summer Reading Kick-Off: Heroes & Villains @ Your Library!
- 1:00 p.m. — Watch “The Incredibles” rated PG
- 3-5 p.m. — Open crafting stations for all ages. Make a superhero or villain accessory, while supplies last!
- 4:30-6:30 p.m. — Photo Booth with real superheroes!
- 5:00 p.m. — Costume Contest, with categories for everyone! Registration is open until 5 p.m. at the Reference Desk.
- 6:30 p.m. — Free pizza sponsored by Snappy Tomato Pizza.
- 7:00 p.m. — Watch “Thor: The Dark World”, rated PG-13
Plus in celebration of 92 Days of Summer Reading, follow us on Facebook for daily reading suggestions and activities. Also be on the watch for surprise prize giveaways throughout the summer on our Facebook page too, https://www.facebook.com/KentonCountyPublicLibrary. Also follow us on the blog and Pinterest boards for great ideas all summer long! Go to www.kentonlibrary.org for details and a full listing of free events this summer.