Giveaway closed. Congratulations to readers – Amy M, Kim r & JP M.
They are finally there! The 2012 World Choir Games opened last night and will be in Cincinnati through July 14. This amazing event features performances by 362 choirs from 48 countries! There are more than 200 events, from competitions and concerts to parades and free public performances.
Here are some family – friendly activities to check out:
- Energy of Youth Celebration Concert (7:30 p.m., July 8, Aronoff Center): This show will feature a Cincinnati Public Schools Honor Choir and the Cincinnati Children’s Choir, conducted by Robyn Lana. Rollo Dilworth, renowned Associate Professor of Choral Music Education at Temple University’s Boyer College of Music and Dance, will serve as guest conductor for the premier performance of his commissioned song especially for the World Choir Games and this honor choir. Also performing: Farnham Youth Choir (Great Britain) and Guangdong Experimental Middle School Choir (China), which has the most gold medals in World Choir Games history (9) and has won four championships (2000, Youth Choirs of Equal Voices; 2000, Folklore; 2004 & 2008, Musica Contemporanea). Tickets: $28, $35, $42.
- Young Children’s Choirs Competition (1 p.m., July 12, SCPA): Will feature choirs from China and Hong Kong. A One-Day Competition Flex Pass ($15) will allow you to see this competition, as well as Show Choir, Barbershop, Male Chamber Choirs, Music of the Religions and Mixed Chamber Choirs.
- Children’s Choirs competition (10 a.m. & 2:30 p.m., July 13, SCPA): A One-Day Competition Flex Pass ($15) will allow you to see these competitions, as well as Scenic Folklore, Mixed Chamber Choirs, Musica Contemporanea and Spiritual. The Children’s Choirs competition (10 a.m. session) includes Karangturi Choir from Indonesia, which was named Champion of the World Choir Games in this category in 2010 in Shaoxing, China. There are also choirs in this category from the Czech Republic, Channel Islands, Chinese Taipei, Russia, Hong Kong, South Africa, China and the USA. A Three-Day Flex Pass is $40.
- Cultural Showcase Celebration Concert (7:30 p.m., July 12, Aronoff Center): In this show, international choirs will perform choreographed native pieces. The choirs scheduled are Boğaziçi Jazz Choir (Turkey), Orfeón Universitario Rafael Montaňo (Venezuela) and Kearsney College Choir (South Africa), which has the second-most gold medals in World Choir Games history (8) and was the 2000 & 2004 Champion of the World Choir Games in Scenic Folklore. Tickets: $28, $35, $42.
- Whirl and Twirl: The mascots of the World Choir Games will be at the Global Village on Fountain Square (July 5, 6, 7, 12, 13).
There are also free Friendship Concerts in 50+ locations, a free Parade of Nations on July 10 (6 p.m., Duke Energy Convention Center to Fountain Square), and free pin trading classes in Duke.
WIN TICKETS | WIN TICKETS
We are excited to partner with Cincinnati METRO to giveaway MORE tickets to SEVERAL of the many exciting events taking place during the Games. Metro is making traveling around town easier during the World Choir Games and has put together a whole guide to help you (and our THOUSANDS of visitors) get around. Check it out here.
OK, on to the giveaway.
We have ONE 4-pack of tickets to each of the following events to giveaway:
- Friday, July 13 at 7:30pm Awards Ceremony at US Bank Arena
- Saturday, July 14 at 10am Awards Ceremony at US Bank Arena
- Saturday, July 14 at 7pm World Choir Games Closing Ceremonies
We will draw a different winner at random from all entries on this post for each, so a total of THREE readers will win.
Entering is easy, simply answer question number 1 below, additional questions are bonus entries. Leave a separate comment for each one you complete. A total of four entries are possible. Four winners will be drawn at random. Giveaway open to Tri-State residents ages 18 and up. Giveaway will close Saturday, July 7 at 10am. Winners will have 24 hours to respond.
1) Tell us if you’ve ever ridden Metro.
Disclosure: Cincinnati Metro provided the tickets for this giveaway.