Contest closed. Congrats to FFC readers Ed, Anne, Felicia and Elizabeth!
Next week The 2012 World Choir Games will be in Cincinnati (July 4-14), and will feature performances by 362 choirs from 48 countries! This is a great opportunity to expose children to different cultures. There are more than 200 events, from competitions and concerts to parades and free public performances. That’s a lot. And you may be thinking…. how do I figure out which shows to see? Well, the World Choir Games have put together a GREAT event schedule, but we thought we’d help out too, and asked organizers to share with us some of their top family-friendly picks.
Here are five family-friendly things not to miss:
- Energy of Youth Celebration Concert (7:30 p.m., July 8, Aronoff Center): This show will feature a Cincinnati Public Schools Honor Choir and the Cincinnati Children’s Choir, conducted by Robyn Lana. Rollo Dilworth, renowned Associate Professor of Choral Music Education at Temple University’s Boyer College of Music and Dance, will serve as guest conductor for the premier performance of his commissioned song especially for the World Choir Games and this honor choir. Also performing: Farnham Youth Choir (Great Britain) and Guangdong Experimental Middle School Choir (China), which has the most gold medals in World Choir Games history (9) and has won four championships (2000, Youth Choirs of Equal Voices; 2000, Folklore; 2004 & 2008, Musica Contemporanea). Tickets: $28, $35, $42.
- Young Children’s Choirs Competition (1 p.m., July 12, SCPA): Will feature choirs from China and Hong Kong. A One-Day Competition Flex Pass ($15) will allow you to see this competition, as well as Show Choir, Barbershop, Male Chamber Choirs, Music of the Religions and Mixed Chamber Choirs.
- Children’s Choirs competition (10 a.m. & 2:30 p.m., July 13, SCPA): A One-Day Competition Flex Pass ($15) will allow you to see these competitions, as well as Scenic Folklore, Mixed Chamber Choirs, Musica Contemporanea and Spiritual. The Children’s Choirs competition (10 a.m. session) includes Karangturi Choir from Indonesia, which was named Champion of the World Choir Games in this category in 2010 in Shaoxing, China. There are also choirs in this category from the Czech Republic, Channel Islands, Chinese Taipei, Russia, Hong Kong, South Africa, China and the USA. A Three-Day Flex Pass is $40.
- Cultural Showcase Celebration Concert (7:30 p.m., July 12, Aronoff Center): In this show, international choirs will perform choreographed native pieces. The choirs scheduled are Boğaziçi Jazz Choir (Turkey), Orfeón Universitario Rafael Montaňo (Venezuela) and Kearsney College Choir (South Africa), which has the second-most gold medals in World Choir Games history (8) and was the 2000 & 2004 Champion of the World Choir Games in Scenic Folklore. Tickets: $28, $35, $42.
- Whirl and Twirl: The mascots of the World Choir Games will be at the Global Village on Fountain Square (July 5, 6, 7, 12, 13).
There are also free Friendship Concerts in 50+ locations, a free Parade of Nations on July 10 (6 p.m., Duke Energy Convention Center to Fountain Square), and free pin trading classes in Duke. At 5 p.m. July 4, there will be a procession of choirs from the main entrance of Great American Ball Park to U.S. Bank Arena, where the Opening Ceremony will start at 7 p.m. For tickets to all events go to www.2012worldchoirgames.com or call 513.977.6363. A detailed schedule and a list of participants are also available on the Website.
WIN TICKETS | WIN TICKETS
In anticipation of the WCG, we are excited to partner with Cincinnati METRO to giveaway tickets to SEVERAL of the many exciting events taking place during the Games. Metro is making traveling around town easier during the World Choir Games and has put together a whole guide to help you (and our THOUSANDS of visitors) get around. Check it out here.
OK, on to the giveaway.
We have ONE 4-pack of tickets to each of the following events to giveaway:
- World Choir Games Opening Ceremony @ US Bank Arena – 7pm, Wednesday, July 4, 2012
- World Choir Games Celebration Concert, Voices of Gold at SCPA/Corbett Theatre – 7:30pm, Friday, July 6, 2012
- Awards Ceremonies at US Bank Arena – 7:30pm, Saturday, July 7, 2012
- Awards Ceremonies at US Bank Arena – 10am, Sunday, July 8, 2012
We will draw a different winner at random from all entries on this post for each, so a total of four readers will win.
Entering is easy, simply answer question number 1 below, additional questions are bonus entries. Leave a separate comment for each one you complete. A total of four entries are possible. Four winners will be drawn at random. Giveaway open to Tri-State residents ages 18 and up. Giveaway will close Saturday, June 30 at 3pm. Winners will have 24 hours to respond.
1) Tell us if you’ve ever ridden Metro.
3) Check out the FFC Facebook page & GoMetro Facebook page
Disclosure: Cincinnati Metro provided the tickets for this giveaway.