Spring has arrived a bit earlier than usual this year, leaving us with flowers already, sunshine and less excuses to get moving. There are many ways to get our heart rate up and everyone has their own style to the exercise component of a healthy routine. For some we need motivation and somewhere to go, for some a treadmill just doesn’t do it for us.
Fortunately our area has many run/walks and causes to support us; in turn we can support some causes while we get healthy.
So we at Family Friendly Cincinnati put the word out and along with our own experiences came up with some great suggestions.
We’ve listed them in order of upcoming date and by no means is this an inclusive list; there are so many choices. This list will take you through June. It seems July isn’t really race season though you might find a few and late summer/early fall walks are still getting their information together.
- March 31, 2012 Run for shelter benefits Transitions, an international non-profit organization dedicated to restoring the lives of girls who have been victims of sex trafficking. On a lighter note, they claim to have the Best. Egg Hunt. Ever.
- April 15, 2012 Great Amazing Race for Youth Event patterns itself after the popular show The Amazing Race and benefits the Flying Color Sports 30 Minutes-A-Day family initiative which works to improve student academic performance and quality of life through activities that can be implemented at home, for little to no cost.
- April 28, 2012 3rd Annual 5K for Haiti and Kids Against Hunger sponsored by the French Club at Oak Hills High School. After volunteering to pack meals for Kids Against Hunger this group decided to take it up a notch and raised more than $12,000 for the organization who is blessed with many hands and is short on funds to deliver the meals to where they are needed most. With low overhead this organization claims 91 cents on every dollar raised goes directly to feeding the children. Phyllis and her girls helped pack meals last weekend for this worthy organization.
April 29, March of Dimes, March for Babies. This year the walk is Sunday, April 29th, starting at 9:00 a.m. at Paul Brown Stadium. All proceeds help moms have full-term pregnancies and research the problems that threaten the health of babies. There is a scenic six mile walk through Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky or you can do a 3 mile Family Walk that stays on the Cincinnati side of the river. Both walks include a circle inside Paul Brown Stadium and Great American Ballpark. For more information or to register your family to walk please visit www.marchforbabies.org.
- April 29, 2012 Covington Rotary 5K Run/Walk Family Fun Area: Immediate family members of Run/Walk participants, as well as guests of sponsors, event supporters, and event partners are invited to the “Family Fun Area” in the playing fields adjacent to the Volpenheim Shelter.
- May 5 /6 Flying Pig Need we say more? Who hasn’t got caught up in this fun event. If you aren’t there running or cheering on someone who is running, you have likely gotten caught in the traffic detours. Either way, it’s become an annual event that helps define Cincinnati’s culture (IMHO)
- May 5, 2012 SMA Walk and Roll
- May 5, 2012 Walk for EB
May 12, 2012 Girls on the Run 5k in Cincinnati We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running. The event is very family-friendly with lots of kids activities ahead of the race. Please plan to come out with your family!
- May 19,2012 Veterans Memorial 5k walk/run in Crescent Springs
- May 19, 2012 MudStash at Perfect North slopes It must get messy when all that snow melts!
- May 26, 2012 Kicks for Kids was founded by Cincinnati Bengal Doug Pelfrey who wanted to serve the kids in need of Northern Kentucky, Southeaster Indiana and Greater Cincinnati.
- May 26, 2012 Tri-for-Joe (Coney Island) Inspired by one families experience with Down Syndrome and the support of their local community and Down Syndrome Association of Greater Cincinnati.
- June 2, 2012 Redlegs Run The net proceeds of this 11th annual event sponsored by Subway benefit the Reds Community Fund. Seems like good ole fashioned fun to me, kinda like apple pie and baseball.
- June 9, 2012 Racing to Read This one is near and dear to Katie and if you read her blog you’ll see she and her entire family LOVE reading.
- June 16, 2012 Make a Wish Joining my friend Sabine for this walk, because I support Make a Wish and because she picked a great name for her team; you’ll have to click to see it. Either way, you are invited to join us or simply support by making a donation.
- June 30, 2012 Hyde Park Blast founded by two Hyde Park residents this event was founded as a way for the community to have fun, be active and raise money for a good cause – the fight against cancer.
And finally, if you have a date in mind but one of these walks don’t work for you, check out these listing calendars for more ideas.
When not blogging for Family Friendly Cincinnati, you can find Phyllis blogging at her personal blog CincyHealthCoach.com.