What’s there not to love about summer reading programs? You read books and you can earn prizes and even get chances to win super duper cool prizes. For me and family, it’s a no brainer to sign up and the same should be said of everyone else in the city.
It’s called Team READ this year and runs from June 1 – July 31 and here’s what you need to know from the Cincinnati Public Library website:
KICKOFF CELEBRATIONS FOR KIDS
“Kids and their families are invited to stop by the Main Library’s Children’s Learning Center or any of our branches on Saturday, June 4th between 2:00 and 4:00 p.m., to decorate a Team Read pennant and enjoy refreshments courtesy of Costco Wholesale. We’ll supply everything you need to personalize your pennant. A couple of special guests will be helping us kick off Summer Reading! Meet the Cincinnati Bearcat at the Anderson Branch and Cincinnati Kings soccer players at the Pleasant Ridge Branch.”
KICKOFF CELEBRATIONS FOR TEENS
We’re hosting nine special kickoff parties just for teens at the following locations:
- Bond Hill Branch, Friday, June 3rd, 4:00 p.m.
- Reading Branch, Friday, June 3rd, 6:00 p.m.
- West End Branch, Monday, June 6th, 4:00 p.m.
- College Hill Branch, Friday, June 10th, 6:30 p.m.
- Anderson Branch, Friday, June 10th, 6:30 p.m.
- Teen Spot, Friday, June 10th, 6:30 p.m.
- Westwood Branch, Friday, June 10th, 6:30 p.m.
- Corryville Branch, Saturday, June 11th, 1:00 p.m.
- Harrison Branch, Saturday, June 11th, 2:00 p.m.
We’ll have board games or video games, food, and music! Check with each location for details.
KICKOFF CELEBRATION FOR ADULTS
Adults are invited to Join Team Read at the Main Library on Wednesday, June 1st from 5:00-6:30 p.m. Win prizes playing Reds Jeopardy with the Cincinnati Reds Hall of Fame and Museum, test your Wii skills, enjoy refreshments courtesy of Barnes & Noble, and sign up for Summer Reading!
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
Signing up is easy! Just use our online registration form or sign up at any one of our libraries. Then, beginning June 1, use the online reading log to keep track of the books/minutes read. For every reading level you complete, you’re eligible to win a prize.
Some of the prizes include:
- NOOK Color e-readers: The top reader in the kid, teen AND adult categories at ALL 41 library branch locations wins a FREE NOOK Color e-reader. The library is giving away 123 total NOOK Colors.
- Tickets to the Reds and to Coney Island. The library is having two grand prize drawings for top readers at each branch and is giving away more than 1,200 tickets to top readers.
- Free books, toys, ear buds, flash drives and more! Everyone wins prizes as they continue to read and log books during the 8-week program.
And There’s More….
Be sure to stop in to your local branch to pick up a flier on Team Read – each Branch will be holding various special events throughout the Summer. I count nine really cool extra events happing at my local branch (the Blue Ash Branch). Things like a presentation on bats, a pupet show, and Harry Potter’s Owls just to name a few. You can also look up what’s happening at your branch by going on-line here.
Most of the information for this post was pulled from the Cincinnati Public Library website.
I have a new blog name and a new look! Be sure to check it out at Little World After All.
Daisey Rhoda says
It’s really a cool and helpful piece of info. I’m glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
I agree Kristin — lots of great options for summer reading!
Kristin G says
Love all the great summer reading programs!