January 17th is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, a holiday marking the birthday of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. There are many ways in which your family can come together to celebrate the life of Dr. King, a man who spoke about equality and helped lead the civil rights movement.
HERE’S A LIST OF THINGS TO DO AS A FAMILY:
Martin Luther King, Jr. March
Each year, the Martin Luther King, Jr. Coalition coordinates MLK events for Cincinnati. This year, the 36th Annual Commemorative Civil Rights March begins at the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center at 10:30 a.m. and marches to Fountain Square for an Interfaith Prayer Service at 11 a.m. After the prayer service, the March continues to Music Hall for an MLK Commemorative Celebration: Keynote Speaker: Marian Spencer; featuring the MLK, Jr. Chorale (the celebration begins at 12 p.m.).
For more information, call 513.230.5235.
Take a trip around the globe with the Cincy Museum Center at African Culture Fest, part of its Passport to the World Series. Enjoy samplings of authentic goods and food from a bustling African marketplace, listen to skilled storytellers and watch exciting performances by African drummers and dancers. Event is open during regular Museum hours and is free to the public (if you’d like to go to other parts of the museum, normal entrance fees apply).
January 15 and 17 – 12:30 – 1:30 p.m.
Celebrate African Culture Fest with Miss Arnice from the Public Library for storytelling and songs in the Patricia A. Corbett Childrens Theater. Program is free for Members or with museum admission.
Although nothing specific is happening on 1/17 a the Zoo, you can enjoy Penguin Days (1/3 – 2/28) which entitles you to 1/2 admission to the Zoo. My family loves to go to the Zoo in the Winter – it’s normally really quiet so we take extra time exploring the inside exhibits.
- Avondale Branch, Monday 17, 3:00 p.m. – Martin Luther King Day: Enjoy stories by Jan Peak to honor Martin Luther King Jr.
- Bond Hill Branch, Tuesday 18, 5:00 p.m. – Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Celebrate the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. with activities and crafts.
- Corryville Branch, Monday 17, 2:00 p.m. -Martin Luther King Day Celebration: Enjoy a variety of MLK activities.
- Green Township Branch, Monday 17, 2:00 p.m. -Celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!,Bring Dr. King’s legacy to life with stories, crafts, and activities. Families are encouraged to attend together. Registration is required.
- Groesbeck Branch, Monday 17, 2:00 p.m.- MLK Movie Day: Celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday with a movie! Watch “Our Friend Martin,” featuring voices by Whoopi Goldberg and James Earl Jones, and enjoy free food and drinks.
- Harrison Branch, Monday 17, 2:00 p.m.-School’s Out – Give Peace a Chance, Celebrate the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday by decorating a peace sign while we learn about Dr. King’s message. Registration is required
- Hyde Park Branch, Monday 17, 2:00 p.m. – I Have a Dream: Stories and craft for Martin Luther King Day
- Main Library Branch, Monday 17, 1:00 p.m.-Martin Luther King, Jr Day: Celebrate Dr. King’s! See his life and legacy brought to life by Deondre Means from The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati. Crafts and more activities to remember this great leader.
- Mt. Healthy Branch, Monday 17, 3:00 p.m. -Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration: Celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day with stories and crafts.
- North Central Branch, Monday 17, 2:00 p.m. -Dream with Martin: 8th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration & Balloon Launch
- Symmes Township Branch, Monday 17, 2:00 p.m. – Celebrate Dr. King’s Birthday!, Do you have a dream? Learn about his involvement in the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the March of Washington. Illustrate your own dream and enjoy birthday cake.
- Walnut Hills Branch, Monday 17, 2:00 p.m. – MLK and Me Today. Martin Luther King, a national holiday, civil rights, 3-day weekend: what does that all mean to you? Come express yourself and make a souvenir.
- West End Branch, Wednesday 19, 3:00 p.m – Celebrate Martin Luther King Jr’s Birthday: Join us in celebrating the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Day Trip: COSI – GIVEAWAY
COSI in Columbus is normally closed on Monday’s. But we’re in luck in January as it will be open on MLK Day! COSI has a new exhibit opening on January 15 which runs through May 8. It’s just a hop, skip and a jump up to Columbus to visit this wonderful museum and learning center for kids. The exhibit is called Geckos: Tails to Toepads Exhibition. Here’s some information from COSI:
This traveling exhibition is the largest and most advanced of its kind, introducing visitors to the remarkable diversity of these lizards through bold back lighted graphics, engaging interactive displays and living examples from around the world.
Highlights of Geckos: Tails to Toepads include:
- A hands-on, minds-on adventure! Visitors can experience gecko night vision, listen to gecko voices, try to spot camouflaged geckos, and build a custom gecko for various environments.
- The gecko habitats re-create natural environments in astonishing detail. State-of-the-art controls provide lighting, humidity, temperature, and water quality to meet the needs of these delicate creatures.
- An exploration of all aspects of geckos: biology, natural history, their role in human cultures, their importance to ecosystems, and the potential they hold for bio-technology.
- Spectacular close-up photographs by renowned wildlife photographers Joe and Mary Ann McDonald, Bill Love, Dave Northcutt, and others.• Spectacular close-up photographs by renowned wildlife photographers Joe and Mary Ann McDonald, Bill Love, Dave Northcutt, and others.
The exhibition is included in your admission to COSI. Our very own, Kristin, wrote a great post about COSI back in the Spring. She gives you all of the insider tips you need to help make your visit enjoyable. Check our her post here. If you’d like to visit COSI, you can WIN a family four pack by entering our contest. Tickets get you into all of COSI exhibits (movies are excluded). To enter, leave a comment to this post stating your interest in the COSI tickets. For a bonus entry, sign up for our eNewsletter (link at bottom) and let us know you did (or already are). Contest closes at Noon on January 12, 2011.
For those of you looking for something for your kids to do while you’re working that day:
Mayerson JCC is offering a one day camp – bring the kids to the J. They’ll splash in the water park, play games in the gym, create great art projects, and enjoy the awesome new game room room. Kids need to bring a packed lunch and drink, a swim suit and towel, and appropriate clothes in case we go outside to play. Drop off is 9:30 – pick up is 3:30. $48 members/$58 non-members (before and after care is also available for an extra fee). Call (513) 761-7500 to register or for more information.
Mason Community Center – School’s Out Fun Day!
School’s Out Fun Days is for ages 6-12 years in the Mason Community Center from 9:00am until 4:00pm (extended hours are available for an extra fee).
Schedule a day of play at Mason Community Center for your school-aged children. On scheduled break days in the Mason City School District, Mason Community Center has special programming for pre-teen students. Children will participate in exciting activities, including games, arts and crafts, free time, swimming, and more. Take this opportunity for your child to meet new friends and have fun while you have the comfort of knowing where your child will be. Your child must bring a lunch, two snacks, a swimsuit, and towel each day.
1/10 registration deadline. Cost depends on whether you are a resident of Mason or not. The non-resident cost is $38 per day. Call (513) 229-8500 for more information.
Lil’ Chef’s Camp Crazyfood
This is held at Tri-Health Fitness and Health Pavilion in Blue Ash (6200 Pfeiffer Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242) and is from 9 am – 3pm. Cost is $45 members/$55 non-members.
Fun-filled food adventure for grades 1-4. Cook variety of kid-tested recipes, including making your own lunch and snacks under direction of registered dietitian. Includes games and crafts. Call (513) 985-0900 for more information.
Do you know of something special happening on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day that we missed? Please add it to the comments section below.
Ok – so I thought today (Thursday) was the 12th. Sorry everyone. The contest winner for the COSI tickets is Kristen Eby. Kristen, I will send you an e-mail shortly. Thank you everyone for entering. KarenE