In today’s technological world, children can be found using a computer more so than ever before. Whether it’s logging on to research a project for school or just trying to play games on their favorite cartoon channel’s website, kids are going on line all the time for a variety of reasons.
While many places online are safe, parents need to be sure that they are monitoring their children’s online time, ensuring that they are protected from strangers or information that is not age appropriate. Sometimes it can be hard to keep up with what’s hot, especially when it comes to technology. This is why we wanted to share information with you about an upcoming seminar on online safety.
On June 8th, from 7pm-8:30pm, The METS Center in Erlanger is hosting: Keeping Kids Safe on the Social Media Highway: On-line Tips For Parents. Presented by Michelle Beckham – Corbin, the FREE seminar will educate parents on the social media sites that are popular with kids; teach you how to keep your children safe while on-line; and how to stay on top of reputation management as employers and colleges search for questionable content on their potential hires and recruits.
Participants will learn:
• The most popular social media sites kids are using, from Facebook to Formspring.me
• How these sites work as a communication tool
• Appropriate content and Search capabilities by Colleges & Employers
• In depth look at Facebook and the key privacy setting changes you need to make NOW
• On-line issues like cyber bullying, stolen identity, on-line exploiters/sexual predators, chat rooms
• Benefits of interacting with peers on-line
• Q&A Session/Parent Sharing
If you think this is something you’d like to attend, visit HERE for complete details and to register.