Happy Mother’s Day weekend, everyone! I hope you get to enjoy some pampering and relaxing time with your favorite loved ones on Sunday. Whether it’s breakfast in bed or a catnap in the backyard hammock, all you hardworking moms deserve a break.
As for Saturday, there’s lots to do with the kids. Here are a few events and activities we wanted to tell you about:
- Camp-a-palooza Open House: Get a preview of the Kids First Sports Center summer camp (for kindergartners through 7th graders) and see what’s new this year. You can meet some of the staff and get your camp questions answered. (Noon-3 p.m., FREE)
- Mother’s Day at Blue Manatee Children’s Bookstore: Spend time having tea with your mama, and make some flowers for her to enjoy. Ages 4 and up. (2:30 p.m., $5 per mother and child. Pre-registration is required.)
- Zoo Babies/Dora & Diego at the Cincinnati Zoo: All the cute little (and not-so-little) animal babies make their appearance at the zoo starting this weekend. To celebrate, your babies can do a meet-and-greet with Dora and Diego at Wings of Wonder Theater. (Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., FREE with Zoo admission).
- National Train Day: Got a train fanatic in your family? Take ’em to the Railway Museum on this special day. You’ll enjoy guided tours inside trains and equipment that’s not normally open to the public. (10 a.m.-4 p.m., $2 per adult, FREE for kids) For even more trains, head over to the Cincinnati Museum Center and celebrate with the Cincinnati Railroad Club. They’ll have activities, tours, model trains, a raffle and more. (10 a.m.-4 p.m., FREE with museum admission)
- Cincinnati Rollergirls at Cincinnati Gardens: The whole family can enjoy a rollicking bout of rollerderby. Read Amy’s post from earlier this week for the scoop! (7 p.m., $10-$15, free ages 6 and under with adult tickets)
- Special Needs Storytime: Special needs children and their parent/caregiver share a reading adventure in a fun and safe environment. Hosted at the Green Township Branch Library. Children’s Librarian Natalie Fields for more information and to register: [email protected] or 369-6095. (Saturday, 10:30 a.m., Ages 1-6 w/caregiver; registration required)
- Appalachian Festival: Starting today and running through Sunday, stop by Coney Island and see Coney transformed into an authentic mountain-life village in celebration of the area’s deep-rooted Appalachian heritage. Festival includes music, crafts, storytelling, and more. Cost to attend is adults $8, seniors, $4, children 4-11, $2. (Visit on Friday and get 1/2 off ticket prices). Discounts available at Kroger. Call (513) 251-3378 or visit the festival online at www.appalachianfestival.org for more info.
* Don’t forget, you can also get your child involved in selecting canned goods and other non-perishable items to set out by your mailbox on Saturday for Stamp Out Hunger, benefiting the FreestoreFoodbank.